A NEW SERIES OF HINTS & TIPS IN THE PASTRY KITCHEN BY BURCH & PURCHESE
1. FONDANT HANDLING
1. Take fondant out of the container with a knife cutting only the portion that is to be used.
2. Replace the fondant neatly back into the container making sure it is covered with the plastic packaging.
3. Place the fondant into the pan with a little sugar syrup.
4. Begin to heat the fondant on the gas stove on a medium flame mixing to make it smooth with a stiff plastic spoon.
5. The correct temperature to reach before using the fondant is 36°C same as blood temperature.
6. The way to check the temperature is to use the back of the finger once the correct temperature is reached take off the heat. Or use a thermometer.
7. To get the correct consistency sugar syrup should be added slowly as not to make the fondant to thin.
8. Once the correct consistency is reached the heat should be brought back to 36c.
9. Now the fondant is ready to use.
10. After finishing with the fondant the side of the pan should be scraped down and the sides wiped with a wet cloth to remove the hard fondant.
11. Store in designated area covered.
12. To re-use the fondant it should first have a little water put on top of the fondant for a short time to soften the fondant then disregards the water then follow the above steps to use again.